06 May 2012

The internet mislead me! But, no, it didn't.

That spoiler I read about the Whedon actor who was going to be in The Avengers? I spent the whole movie looking out for that person and I did not see them. I saw another Whedon person, but not the one I was expecting to see. I had to Google it afterwards, and I've found out who this person played, and I did see them, but they were in heavy make-up, so I'll have to see it again to see if I can recognize them if I know it's them. I suppose it's not really a spoiler if the person is unrecognizable, but I'm still not going to tell you who it is.

So, I went to the movies today. It was a toss up between The Avengers and American Reunion, but since I'd never see American Reunion, and since I've been counting down the days to Avengers since I first heard about it, and since I'd already bought tickets online, I went to see The Avengers.

Nerdgasm, indeed.

Firstly, while I love the ReadD 3D just for the depth it gives the picture, it was completely unnecessary. It wasn't filmed in 3D, so some scenes still looked a bit flat. It was nice for some of the action, but there's was nothing gimmicky, that I noticed, and I don't think you're missing anything seeing it in 2D.


Secondly, it was great. I wanted to applaud or cheer at the end. There was a lot happening in this movie. There was so much happening that they didn't even have time for any musical training montages. I can't talk about it from the perspective of someone who knows the comics, but as a movie, and as a continuation of the story in the other movies, it works very well. I suspect there was stuff in there for the comics fans, because there were some lines that got reactions out the audience that I didn't understand. It was actually less Whedony than I was expecting (generally, his stuff has more swords), but it still had enough of Him in it. I recommend staying until the very, very end of the credits for a great little scene.

The best parts of the movie were the non-fighting character scenes, when they argued or debated. Those were well written and it was really great seeing these disparate characters playing off each other. There was more in-fighting in the group than I expected, not just bickering but actual brawls. Those fights were fun. During the battle between Ironman and Thor, I couldn't help but think the writing  process between Whedon and his co-writer went something like this:



The big action sequences were very good too. At the end, especially, there was some really involved, tense action and some really great shots. I lost track of the number of money shots, but there was a lot. 

There are some characters I liked more in this movie than in others. I was ambivalent about the Black Widow in the second Ironman, but you get more of an idea of the character here (I suppose I could get it from the comics, too, but I probably won't). Ironman is his usual, charming self. I thought the Hulk was really well done  - and he got some of the funniest bits. Even Thor was more likable in this movie. I still don't know what the deal is with Hawkeye, other than that Jeremy Renner is awesome and Hawkeye is Robin Hood without the robbing (as far as I know). It looks like only Ironman, Captain America, and Thor have more movies planned at the moment, so unless he appears in one of them I guess he'll remain a mystery.

I definitely missed some stuff, so I should really see it again. I will say if you like superheros, action, comedy, good writing, good plotting, special effects, dizzying heights, alien flying fish, Joss Whedon, or broken glass, then you should go see it. 

No comments: