12 March 2010

Maybe Canada Should Get Out More: Day 5: The End

This is it, y'all. I'm sure you've been hitting refresh on my blog all day, just itching to find out the winner. Not that it matters much, because the best book is already out of the running.
Okay, the third book to leave - and I'm no longer making predictions because this is just too wild a race to predict - ooh...there's a tie for 3rd place. This is all so tense. However, it looks like one of my least favourites Jade Peony is  in the running for the 2010 winner. Okay, the third place is Good to A Fault. That lasted so much longer than I thought it would.

We're down to Nikolski and Jade Peony. Apparently, Canada only wants to read disconnected stories. Dude, I'm still hurting from the loss of Generation X and Fall On Your Knees. I kind of don't care too much who wins anymore. But there's only 9 minutes left in the competition, so I'll stick with it. 

And they're in the final vote. That went fast. And the winner is Nikolski! I can live with that - I did like it better than Jade Peony. If you haven't read it yet, give it a try. While I can't condone the consumption of fish that is rampant throughout the novel, it is a nice piece of Canadiana. It has everything you could want in a book: pirates, grad students, professors getting arrested, bibliophiles, and crazy families. And there's fish on the cover, so really, it should have been my de facto favourite anyway.

Oh - hey, this part is awesome: the publisher of the winning book makes a donation to an adult literacy organization. That's sweet, because they totally get a boost in sales from this; also, adult literacy has become one of my favourite causes, right after saving the fishes.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Actually, rather than hitting refresh on your blog all day, I'd been avoiding it in case of spoilers! It was an interesting year this year. Lots of twists and turns.

Lianne said...

Hey, just discovered you when I was looking for a link to "The Last Canadian" and you did a review. Loved it BTW (your review that is -- not The Last Canadian. Read it many years ago and it always stuck with me -- but not in a good way). I'm going to sit down this weekend and get to know your blog, but wanted to say that I think I'm going to be back often.

I just started reading Nikolski and am enjoying it.

Come over and visit me sometime.