02 July 2008

Canada Day

I went to see the fireworks last night with Cricket. The Canada Day Fireworks are the only big public event that I take part in, here in Edmonton. I don’t go to the festivals, or special events, or that fair thing they have every year. I suppose I haven’t really taken advantage of the things Edmonton has to offer, but constant fear for your life tends to make you a homebody. (A girl was killed and buried in a guy’s backyard over the weekend). Although last night I did notice, and appreciate, the heavy police presence on Whyte and downtown.

The fireworks were good. The word "fireworks" always makes me think of The Hip song. My favourite part about fireworks is the juxtaposition of the pretty, sparkly lights and the horrific booming of the explosives. The sound of fireworks is what I’ve always imagined that WWI sounded like. And to have sounds I associate with bayonets and soldiers caught in barbed wire accompanied by pretty, twinkling, over-all joyful lights is an interesting contrast.

No comments: