30 April 2009

Anne, again

I'm now halfway through the main Anne series. It's a little confusing, because there are 6 Anne of the Something books, but then there are books about her kids. For my purposes, I'm only reading the Anne of books. So, after the first came of Avonlea and of the Island. The second book chronicles the two years Anne spends as a school teacher, and the third book is about her years at Redmond College getting her B.A. One cool thing I just learned is that Redmond College is based on Dalhousie University, where Lucy Maud did her degree, and the city it's in is based, fittingly, on Halifax. I didn't pick up on that, however. At one point she mentions a martello tower and I thought "Halifax has one of those!" but I didn't know it was the same tower.

I'm taking a break before I read the final three books. I'm interested to see if the fact the L.M. didn't want to write them shows in the stories. She has a very playful tone in her books, with the occasional shot of irony. I wonder if the books she didn't want to write will be more bitter or something?

No comments: