24 March 2009

I wasn't going to buy just anyone's cockatoo

I have a bunch of posts in my head, I just haven't gotten around to making them actual. I realize that my internal thoughts are all well and good, but they don't really help any of y'all procrastinate. I will try to do better in the future.

Speaking of "y'all," I had a dream recently that I was in a meeting with my former supervisors and other people who were on my thesis committee, and I called them "y'all." Afterward it was all silence and awkwardness, and significant anti-Ellie looks were exchanged. That's a word I use all the time when I write, but I don't think I've ever used it (un-ironically) in reality - it doesn't slip out of me the way that "dude," somewhat regrettably, does.

I also recently dreamt that I was being hunted by this feral raccoon, but it was mutated and looked more like a sloth (holy crap, those are creepy animals, I don't care how slow they move, if ever there were an argument for animals not having a soul, the sloth would be it. Dude!). The sloth-like raccoon was pursuing me at my parent's house and I managed to elude it. Then it followed me into another dream! I've never had that happen before, when elements of one dream appeared in another. It was cool.

I also wanted to write about this great play I saw with Anne. It was called Ubuntu, and was about a man who comes to Canada from South Africa in search of his father. The cast was only 5 people, and the set was pretty stark, but it was amazing how they were able to create so much with their bodies and motions. In one scene, they were able to create the feeling of a large university library using only a cart and about 10 books. The man who played the father was especially gifted with his movements, able to convey a lot with just the way he held his body. There's a really great example I'd like to share, but it would reveal too much. The play has already been to Toronto, and I don't know if it's going to be touring, but if you get a chance to see it, go for it.

I'd also like to point out how much more rational the Pay What You Can procedure at Neptune Theatre is compared to the Citadell in Edmonton. At Neptune, the Pay What You Can ticket sales begin 30 minutes before the show starts. That's it - no wristbands, no lining up twice, no entire afternoons spend hanging around with the homeless people at the library. So much better.

P.S. -If monday rolls around and anyone is looking for a belated present for me, tickets for U2's Toronto show go on sale at 10am.

No comments: