12 May 2008

14 Again

(Disclaimer: If you don't care for X Files, this post might bore you to tears).
I shouldn't be allowed to browse online. I need to get that software that parents use to keep their kids off chat sites or whatever. Except I'd set mine to only allow me to use my email and the Science citation database, I can't be trusted anywhere else. When I browse it's inevitable that I'll find something to distract me from my work. Take right now as an example. I was browsing, and I found something that I have to share because the geek in me can't contain herself. This morning I came across the shiny new X Files movie trailer.

I don't think I have the skills as a writer to explain how important this show was to me for 7 years of my life. It was my favourite show, beyond Buffy or any of the really popular shows at the time. It was the first thing I became really obsessed with, and I have no idea why because I had no prior love for Sci fi. I just saw it on TV one night, and it was like I had no choice but to make it the center of my personal universe for the better part of the next decade. People who barely knew me in high school knew I was the girl who loved X Files. To this day, friends still give me alien-themed presents. My mom even wrote an article for a local magazine once about how - during the typical difficult teen years - she and I were able to find common ground in XFiles.

I'm not obsessed anymore, even though I still love the show and I appreciate how awesome it was and how it helped pave the way on network TV for other supernatural/sci fi shows. There are episodes of XFiles that I would argue are among the best hours ever to air on TV (Home, Small Potatoes, etc) and admittedly, it probably had some of the worst hours - especially in it's first (and last) season. But there's no need to dwell and my entire point to writing a post was to direct you to the trailer and to discuss the promo "viral" videos.

They've released these super short videos of Mulder and Scully talking about each other, and it's weird, and seems aimed at whipping the poor, abused 'shippers into a mad frenzy. I suppose after 6 years we're supposed to just forgive and forget the way they handled the Mulder/Scully thing (after season 7, because up until then it was very well executed). But seriously, I mean everything important in that relationship happened offscreen, and the writer's kept it ambiguous for so long you could tell that they didn't even know what was going on, and I'm still pissed that Scully had Mulder's superhuman-miracle-baby then gave it up for adoption and everyone was okay with this. Ugh. Okay. So maybe I have some residual obsession.



No comments: