27 April 2007

Fishes Are King

Ecologists, like myself, tend to be very loyal to their study organisms. It’s not uncommon (it is very common, in fact) for Cricket and I to have the following scientific debate:

Me: Frogs suck.
Cricket: Frogs are awesome.
Me: Fish are so much better than frogs.
Cricket: Are not!

If Monica was in the room, she’s make some comment about how crabs are better than both fish and frogs. Then Oz would say that raptors are better than all those taxa, and Julie would start in on how great whales are, and the room would erupt in chaos. Debates like this are pretty useless, because none of us are going to convince anyone else that our animal is the best (and also because none of us have ever defined what “better” really is).

But all the debate is over. I’ve known for a long time now that fish are better than all the other animals. Not cuter, necessarily, or smarter, or more innovative, just Better. I’ve never been able to articulate it, but then last night while I watched Grey’s Anatomy, it hit me. Vandellia cirrhosa is the reason that fish are better than anything else out there.

For those of you that don’t know, this is a blood-parasite Amazon fish that will swim up the urethra of mammals (and this includes humans) presumably because it is following the ammonia in our urine. And these things aren’t small, either.

When the candirú successfully invades a human …it quickly wriggles its way in as far as possible, often accompanied by the victim's frantic attempts to grip the slippery, mucus-coated tail. In the unlikely event that the panicked victim manages to grasp the fish, its backwards-pointing barbs would cause excruciating pain at each pull, and bring a quick end to the dramatic tug-of-war. Once inside, the parasite inches its way up the urethra to the nearest blood-gorged membrane, extends its spines into the surrounding tissue, and starts feasting. (Source)

I’d like to see a Western toad try to swim up some guy’s penis! It’ll never happen; only fish are awesome enough to do it. Take that, frogs! In your face, birds of prey! Up yours, marine crustaceans! Talk to the hand, whales! Fishes are King. Debate over.

9 comments:

Keelie said...

Ellie,

I think I would have been amused by this even if I hadn't watched "Grey's Anatomy" myself last night (much as I hate to admit to watching tv, oh well!) But I'm LMAO having seen it myself and then stumbling on your post!

I see you're an ecologist, and into the wild things - maybe you do (or don't!) find the domestic fauna interesting as well, but you've inspired me to try to find a like argument for my own "llamas rule" debate. Oh wait, maybe I mean horses rule - or dogs...damn, I can't even decide myself! They're all cool :)

Anyhow, love your blog; you're welcome to visit mine if you'd like...
Colleen aka Keeliegirl
http://keeliegirl.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that,

Frogs Rule
And
Fish Drool!

Cheers,
Cricket

Annie said...

No animal species will ever compare to the awesomeness of the rock! The rock was here before any of your boring little animals and will be here long after....

Anonymous said...

It's clear to me that "better" can be defined as which species can eat all the others. And therefore, ospreys and loons are the awesome-est -- they eat fish AND frogs AND crayfish. AND rocks, because they use them in their gizzards.

Thus at p<0.05, we can reject the null hypothesis that no one species is better than any others, and conclude that ospreys and loons are significantly better than all the other study species on the list.

-Oz

Ellie Fish said...

Based on that logic, Oz, humans would be The Best, because we eat everything. I think we can all agree that as a species humans suck. Therefore your argument is void. Fishes are - once again - King.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of people predating loons and ospreys . . .

-Oz

Ellie Fish said...

I am confident that in the history of humanity, people have eaten loons and ospreys. Perhaps they didn't know better, or maybe they were just really, really hungry.

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is that crustaceans, specially crabs, can be found in many more types of habitats in the world...(i.e. marine, freshwater, terrestrial, hydrothermal vents etc.) including on humans. You can't say that about any of the others...well except rocks, if you think of kidney stones, but rocks aren't alive (sorry Annie)and that is a point against.

Thus I say fishes are not King, but King Crabs are.


Cheers,
Alej

Ellie Fish said...

Dear Alej,

While I agree that seep and vent fauna are miraculous (I got an A in Deep Sea Bio), and that hairy crab they found last year is downright awesome, I can't agree that crustaceans are the best. I mean, that hairy crab isn't gonna crawl up some guy's penis! A fish living inside a human is cooler than some white crabs on a hydrothermal vent. Hands down.