30 November 2006

Shippers Unite

A few weeks ago I managed to waste an entire night on Youtube. Well, I wasted a few hours at least. It’s such a black hole of crap, it’s hard to find your way out. I did a few searches for characters/shows that I like and was appalled by the sheer number of tribute videos. “Tribute videos” may not be the actual term, but that’s what I call them: when people (teenage girls, really) piece together clips from their favourite shows and set them to music. Predictably, the subject of the tribute is usually male, or a couple (e.g., The Office’s Jim and Pam, Prison Break’s Michael and Sarah, and any other TV couple you could possibly imagine) and the music is the saddest, most angsty song they can find, usually something featuring a piano or acoustic guitar. They’re made by obsessed fans for obsessed fans. Now, I have been (and continue to be) a ‘shipper, and I have an obsessive personality, but even I never went this far. Of course, I never had the technology to go this far. My first real teenage obsession was Keanu Reeves (in 1994), followed a few months later by X Files. I didn’t have a colour monitor on my computer, let alone HDTV and whatever programs these kids use to make their ‘shipper videos. I had to be satisfied with cutting pictures out of magazines and watching appearances on talk shows. However, I think if I’d had the technology, I would be one of those girls piecing together scenes and setting them to music. I’m picturing some great Mulder & Scully moments set to an acoustic version of With or Without You. Sad, but true.

On the irrelevant front, I had a dream last night that trichopterans were growing in my stomach. It was really gross. It reminded me of another dream I had once where I had asparagus-like growths in my nose that were growing down through my palate and into my mouth. Ew. In another part of the trichoptera dream, I was attending Business School with my brother Mike. I was specializing in Environmental Business, and he was too cool to ride the bus with me.

No comments: