31 May 2007

NWT Road Trip: Part III

I’m trying to remember Saturday. It was so long ago. We started off the day taking a look at the Rapids of the Drowned. I love places with morbidly brutal names (à la Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump). Unfortunately, I think we should have actually gone down the walkway or something ‘cause all we saw was a relatively calm river.

Next it was on to the Salt River Day Use Area. To get there we had to leave NWT, re-enter Alberta, then re-enter the Park. This location was recommended to us by my labmate who does her field work in the area. It had two hiking trails with interpretive signage. And it had snakes, but I won’t comment any further on them except to say that I only screamed once.



There was a little bit of a gong show when Mika and Cricket took the 7.5km trail instead of the 700m trail that Oz and I took; they were gone for a long time and reappeared just as Oz and I were prepping for a rescue mission.

At some point that day we saw Little Buffalo River Falls, but I can’t for the life of me remember if it was before or after lunch. Whatever, I’m going to put pictures of it here.

We ate lunch at the Salt Flats. This was our view while we ate:


Not bad. Before we ate we hiked down to the flats. The other girls went far out onto them, I stayed behind for whatever reason. I just didn’t want to, I guess. Look how far away they got!


After lunch we did other things. I’m really making this come alive for you, eh? I’m no Bill Bryson, I know. There was a Whopping crane lookout from which I don’t think anyone has ever seen Whopping cranes. Ever. And there was a sink hole and a decommissioned fire tower that they obviously didn’t want people to climb.



After we had exhausted all the Park had to offer, we took off for Hay River for the night. We tried to buy postcards but couldn’t find a single store that was selling them. Tomorrow: the thrilling conclusion of our story…the drive home! Will our intrepid heroines make it back alive? Tune in to find out.

No comments: