24 October 2006

I've got the will to drive myself sleepless

I had a sleepless night last night. It wasn’t entirely devoid of sleep, but it came pretty close. It all started when I fell asleep on my couch around 8. I woke up in time for Prison Break at 9 (thank goodness I didn’t miss a single, precious minute of Wentworth Miller staring at things), but the damage was done. As far as my circadian rhythm was concerned, I had my sleep for the night. So, I watched Heroes after that. I can’t decide if I like that show yet, but the Hiro character is beyond adorable so it’s not painful to watch. I went to bed at the reasonable hour of 11, but couldn’t sleep (see above), so I read my book. It’s a nice, lovely book by Bill Bryson called A Walk in the Woods. That was my second mistake, apparently, because there was a description of a murder in there that pretty much guaranteed that I wouldn’t be sleeping. It wasn’t even graphic, it was just really creepy and so very, very applicable to Cricket and I (and others) living in the middle of nowhere like we did for the past two summers. It was not the kind of thing I should have read before bed, because I tend to take these things and run with them. And I ran with it until about 2 am. Surprisingly, I don’t feel more tired than I usually feel. Maybe 4 hours is all I really need.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I needed to be your first comment! I can't believe no more website! If the whole 4 hours of sleep thing works out for you I may just need to try it, imagine what I could do with another 4 hours a day! Enjoy reading your blogs keep it up! Cheers

Anonymous said...

All you really need is about 2 hours of sleep to function somewhat like a normal human being....I know from experience....

My suggestions: use cold water, and do 10 pushups about every 2 hours. Also works wonders if you want to loose weight.

Ellie Fish said...

Use cold water for what?

Anonymous said...

To drink....and splash on your face...but mainly drink. It wakes you up, plus it makes you have to go to pee often, which keeps you awake. It's a wonderful thing...cold water is.