10 January 2009

Pour on the maple syrup and presto! Instant Canadiana

I found this while searching for shark pictures for my Chondrichthyes prelab talk. It's from a Canadian Film Festival.

I love it because despite the fact that I should (and do) know better, I often wonder if a giant shark is going to attack me while I ice fish.

There are a couple more at this site. I especially like the riff on Poltergeist.

Oh, and speaking of movies, I have something to write about! I had a 2-for-1 one pass, so Annie (recently back from abroad) and I went to a matinee of Australia at a relatively new theatre out on a huge new development that was probably once a productive wetland. Progress, yeah! Anyway, it was a mid-week matinee, so we weren't expecting many other people there. I was surprised by the attendance. Mostly retired couples, from what I could see, and maybe some unemployed souls. Other poor, jobless bastards drowning their sorrows in Hugh Jackman's awesome manliness.

The theatre is shiny new, with reclining stadium seating, and electronic posters in the hallway that play the trailer for the movie. With that sort of help, it's hard to go into the wrong theatre. So, imagine our surprise when, after 15 minutes of previews, we open on a scene of the starry night sky and the words "Keanu Reeves." We look at each other. Keanu Reeves is not in Australia, we were pretty damn sure. So, as The Day The Earth Stood Still began to play, we pulled out our stubs to make sure we were in the right theatre. There was a surprising lack of murmuring from the audience, but we were in the right theatre, and it was the wrong movie. I went out to complain, and by the time I came back in, I could hear the rest of the audience getting confused. Our Usher came to tell us that the wrong movie was playing, and that they were going to switch the reels and put the right one on. Then, inexplicably, he said, "If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask." What else could we possibly want to ask him?

In the end we got to see the movie we intended to see. We also got a free pass for a movie and $3 off at the concession stand for our troubles. Not bad for a day's work. Or lack thereof.

Also, the movie was great fun, and beautiful, and very Baz Luhrmann-y, and totally kicks Pearl Harbour's ass in the "Movies Where Places Get Attacked By Japan" competition.

No comments: