23 October 2008

Give fish the vote!

My mother recently read Ronald Wright's What is America?, a brilliant book about the history of America, both the country and Northern continent. It wasn't anti-American so much as it was honest about that country's history. Here is what she (who was herself an American until 2 years ago) had to say:

Just finished the Ronald Wright book this morning. I come away with a view of America as a huge, grown-up retarded kid, big and powerful and able to impose its will on everyone but nonetheless stupid and given to wrong, damaging decisions. But I love how [Wright] calls those recent Republican presidents disasters, because that's what they were. As a Democrat, I wondered if, in thinking that, I wasn't being unnecessarily dramatic and apocalyptic. But he says I wasn't! (Insert victory dance here).

In somewhat related news, a dead goldfish was registered to vote in the US elections. I say, let the dead fish vote! Maybe the dead fish will be wiser in its choice than most of the American public. (For the life of me, I can't find the article on CBC, but it was real, I swear).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't know about the CBC article, but here's a USA Today one of the same story:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2008-10-21-dead-goldfish-voter-registration_N.htm