04 March 2008

Due to lack of interest, Alberta has been cancelled

I’ve always liked elections. There’s something about them, the feeling of potential and hope they foster. I remember the first time I voted, I was still living in Ontario so I must have been 18 or 19, and I went to Canon Nind Hall in Grafton and I think I voted Liberal. I don’t think they won that riding, though. I also remember during the federal election in 2000, watching the results in my residence TV lounge and doing a “Liberal Majority” dance in the hallways.

Lately, however, elections have only served to disappoint. The last three elections I paid serious attention to only left me feeling depressed and less than optimistic about the future of humanity.

For those of you that don’t live in Alberta (or, live in Alberta and don’t care – there seem to be quite a few of you), the PC party had a massive, stomach-churning victory in yesterday’s provincial election. Not only are they still the majority, but they gained seats, making them more powerful than before. Both the Liberals and the NDP lost seats. The silver lining is that the somewhat extreme (read: bat-shit crazy) Wildrose Alliance Party lost their seat in the Legislature. This means that in the next election – per the editorial policies of most news outlets – they won’t be involved in the debates and won’t receive major coverage.

I don’t know how the Greens did relative to last time. I think of all the smaller, neglected parties (Alberta has nine (9!) parties, by the way), the Green is the only reasonable one. Far more reasonable than the Communists, Separatists, or any of the handful of the other, smaller conservative (I assume) parties.

What really bothers me about the election isn’t entirely just the outcome. Sure, I’m deeply disappointed in the majority that voted PC, and the thousands that voted for WAP as an alternative to PC. However, it’s their right to vote the way they want. What bothers me more is the 59% of Albertans that didn’t vote at all. I don’t know why people don’t vote. Do they truly not care? Do they think that it’s hopeless because PC will win no matter what? Do they support PC but figure it doesn’t need their vote? Did they not know it was Election Day? Are they all in comas? I hate to judge all of Alberta by the election results, but not voting seems to me to be a de facto vote for the incumbent party. Does it seem wrong to anyone else that 2/5 of the population determines the government for the entire province?

I need to stop writing. I’m just depressing myself.

No comments: