18 February 2008

The important thing

There’s this elementary school here that always has an inspirational saying on its sign board. The latest is attributable to Einstein:

“The important thing is to never stop questioning.”

However, if you don’t know it’s attributable to Einstein, you think he’s part of the saying, and it reads like:

“The important thing is to never stop questioning Einstein.”

Which was how I read it the first time. And my first thought was, “Who the hell are they to question Einstein?” And my second thought was, “Maybe they got mixed up and they mean Darwin?” Then I clued in, smart cookie that I am. However, I kind of like my version better. I think I’ll adopt it as my new mantra, replacing my long running mantra of “The important thing is to not embarrass yourself.”

No comments: